2015 Teams Walk Your AS Off
- Sandgropers Standing Tall
- ASsie Walkers – Gold Coast Qld – Comment from Team Captain Gilly: Hey all, I’m Gilly and started the Assie Walkers (We’re down under in Australia.) We would love all ASers in Australia to join our team and help raise awareness around the world.
- A.S. Busters – The Home Team for the Canadian Spondylitis Association – A.S. Busters is the home team of the Canadian Spondylitis Association! Team Captain Michael Mallinson welcomes anyone in Canada or elsewhere who would like to join their team
- Canadians Walk Their Cold Butts For A.S.
- Famous Ford’s
- Werk Dat AS – Walking for the first time this year in the Canadian corner… Coming to you from the University of British Columbia’s Masters of Physical Therapy Class of 2015 and their friends, families and future colleagues… WERK DAT AS! Thank you so much for the hard working and dedicated organizers and walkers who have stepped up before us to fight for this fantastic cause. As physiotherapy students we know the career we’ve chosen will be an amazing one… Why is that you ask? Because we know we will be working with people like you every day! We promise to devote our days to help strong and dedicated individuals live full and happy lives despite illness, disease or disabilities, including AS. We promise to be a motivator on days that the battle seems lost! We promise to be a cheering member of your team with each victory, both big and small! And most of all, we promise to give our all each and every day to follow the lead of the fantastic physiotherapists in BC (and the Physiotherapy Association of BC’s motto) to “keep you moving for life”! Ready… Set… LET’S WALK!
GREAT BRITAIN TEAMS
- Orange Apples – Home Team for the National Association of Ankylosing Spondylitis (NASS)
- AS Buzzers – Captains Kathy Miller and Jerry Dance lead a massive team of walkers from Great Britain.
Count Our Steps
- Ria’s Kick A.S. Walkers
- The Walking Spondies – International Team: Canada, Taiwan, South Africa, the UK and the US
- The SAA Home Team – Official Team for the Spondylitis Association of America – Los Angeles, California – Facebook – The Spondylitis Association of America was founded in 1984. SAA is the Largest NON-PROFIT in the US dedicated to Ankylosing Spondylitis and Related Diseases. Visit us at www.spondylitis.org.
- Rockin’ Weebles: Weebles Kick A.S. – USA – INTERNATIONAL TEAM: USA, INDIA, JAPAN, SOUTH AFRICA, NETHERLANDS – Facebook – Team Captains Heather Stewart & Erin Filipich invite you to join The Rockin’ Weebles. We have walkers from all over the world! We’d love to have you join us from anywhere in the world you walk & live.
- Bad AS Walkers in AZ – Tucson, Arizona – Facebook – Comment from Team Captain Jacquie Gregor:I was diagnosed with A.S. In 2007 after breathing problems and a large mass on my Sternoclavicular joint. I don’t think I have had a day without pain since the year 2000. I walk because with each step I think of those walking all over the world and how together we are raising awareness for AS. We also have the opportunity to see our own potential. With this global and individual awareness we CAN and WILL make a difference.
- Don’t Worry, Be Happy! – Fresno, California – Comment from Tess Johnson, Team Captain: Welcome to Team “Don’t Worry, Be Happy!” We believe it’s important to keep walking while we can to show our unwavering support for those with A.S. who wish they could walk more. Our team’s home-base is in Fresno, CA, but we have teammates from many cities, far and wide. “Don’t Worry, Be Happy!” was originally formed in 2013, and we proudly posted a huge step count of over 17 million steps!
- We’ve Got Your Back! For Fighting For Ankylosing Spondylitis – Santa Monica, California – Facebook – Comment from Erica Levi, Team Captain: My team is a mixed group of people. Most are from an AS support group. Others do not have AS, but are friends and family of ASers. The funds we raise will go to help the charity I am starting called Fighting for AS: We’ve Got Your Back!
- Team SarcASm – Southern California & West Virginia – Facebook – Fundraising for the Arthritis National Research Foundation (ANRF) – Team Captains Brit Johnson & Adam Wolfe are proud to be stepping for our 3rd year in a row! Both Team Captains are going for the Million Step Challenge and are raising moneythrough the Arthritis National Research Foundation (ANRF), and run/walk throughout the year for Racing For a Cure. The ANRF has set up a specific grant that goes towards AS and spondylitis research through WYASO! Find #TeamSarcASm on Twitter.
- Team PAWS for our Cause – USA, Worldwide – In 2014, after much debate and a few amazing stories, we decided to include our furry friends in our campaigns.
- Warren’s Warriors – California – We are walking for Lynette Warren.
- Fitch Feet – Morgan Hill, Northern California – Facebook – Team Captain Karen Fitch leads a massive group of walkers in northern California. Karen is very active with her Fitch Feet’s Facebook page, and she is also an Official WYASO blogger.
- Kick AS Striders – Florida – We believe every step we take helps bring awareness about Spondylitis to people we meet along the way. We are home based in Florida but have members up and down the east coast. We take one day at a time and one step at a time. I walked last year for Team Maia’s Warriors. I have AS and I’m one of those who are HLA-B27 negative. I have bi-lateral SI Joint fusion, cervical spine is fused from C2-C7. I do not let AS slow me down – well, ok I try to not let it.
- Team Movin & Groovin – Georgia – Message from Team Captain Laura: I was diagnosed with A.S. about seven years ago, and it is something I struggle with mentally and physically every day, but I’m determined not to let it keep me down. We are Movin’ and Groovin’ because music really helps motivate me to get a move on.
- Walking Tall and Wright – Buffalo Grove, Illinois
- Ready To Kick Some AS – Illinois- Team Captain Kelly says that her team is ready to kick some AS. I am 21 years old and have AS; I have had arthritis since I was 7 years old. I love this walk and am excited to be a part of it.
- Quad Cities Kicks AS! – Iowa – Team Captain Kelly: I’m Kelly, Captain of Quad Cities Kicks AS! We’re in Davenport, Iowa (about 4 hours southwest of Chicago, on the Mississippi River. I’m 35 and only been diagnosed a year now with AS.
- The Blue Apples – Ohio and Maine – Facebook- The Blue Apples were the very first team to start walking for AS. The team was founded in 2012 for Walk Your A.S. Off by WYASO site founder, Jennifer Visscher.
- The Maine-iAcS – Maine – Susan Dye, Team Captain: Since my daughter, Jennifer Dye Visscher, has AS and founded the Walk, it is very important to me and to our family that we continue to promote awareness and health through the Walk.
- The CL-A.S.-Y Walkers – Clarksville, Maryland – Facebook – Comment from Team Captain Melinda: I deal with having A.S. and Crohn’s disease by practicing and teaching therapeutic yoga.
- Blessed Beyond The Storm – Land of 10,000 Lakes
- Move It or Fuse It – Minnesota – Team Captain Jackie: I’m 17 and only diagnosed around a year ago, but I found that this walk is a perfect way to get my friends and family to understand what AS really is!
- Team BELEIGHVE – Luebbering, Missouri – Comment From Team Captain Leigh Costella: I was diagnosed with AS when I was 16. After 35 years of falling through the cracks, dozens of surgeries and countless hours of physical therapy, AS kicked my AS*. I worked hard, played hard, and fought hard. I am now less able, with multiple spine and rib-to-spine and sternum fusions, RA, radicuopathy and neuropathy. I use walking sticks for balance.
- A Bunch of AS Kickers – New Mexico – Website – Twitter – Comment From Joyce: Hi my name is Joyce Wallace-Lameire and I have a “Health Challenged Disease” called Ankylosing Spondylitis. I was diagnosed in 1992 and up until 2011 was in remission and then suddenly found myself bed ridden with chronic pain. I didn’t think I could do the campaign for WYASO but I did and was grateful my body held up.
- Kicking A.S. & Taking Names – Pearl River, New York – Facebook – We are a bunch of first responders, some A.S. patients, Casey’s family and general supporters of finding a cure for A.S. Thank you all so much for helping me to raise awareness for Ankylosing Spondylitis. It means the world to us!
- Spondyville Fusers – New York and Spondyville – Facebook – Comment From Team Captain Michael Smith: If you are interested in being on the highest scoring team, the Fusers is NOT the team for you. We’re looking for people that are interested in participating, but don’t want the stress of competition. We want you to walk at your own pace and contribute whatever you can. Visit our Website: Spondyville.com
- Little Steps Of Hope– Swanton, Ohio
- Stepping with SpondyMom – Oregon – Facebook – Spondy Mom’s Team Captain Amber Panagos has a very supportive and extremely active Facebook page.
- Perseverance Warriors Against AS – Oregon
- Endurance For AS – Pittsburgh, PA
- Do The Truttle – Philadelphia, PA
- Hope Walkers – Austin, Texas
- Coach Matt’s AS Kickers – Garland, Texas
- A.S. Kickers
- Get To Steppin
- reFUSE to Lose
- A.S. Kickin’ Chicks
- A.S. Fighters
- Marie’s Marchers
- The Dye Falcons
- Walking for AS – the Best Rx
- One Healthy Mother
- Walking for AS – the Best Rx
- CAN OF WHOOP AS
- Keep Calm and Step On!
- Chrissy’s Cantering Crazy Cat-Lovers
- We’re > AS
- A.S. Busy B’s
- Spondy Ladies
- A.S. Warriors
- Walk Your A.S. Off of NWA
- Walking My AS Off For KateSticky Wickets