World Arthritis Day
World Arthritis Day is celebrated on October 12th each year and was established in by Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI) in 1996.
World Arthritis day is a global initiative that brings people together to help raise awareness for people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
On October 12th each year, people who want to have a say in raising awareness for rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases from around the world can join together to make our voices head.
This family of diseases includes Ankylosing Spondylitis, as well as:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Reactive arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Infectious arthritis, including Lyme disease and other types of parvovirus arthritis and gonococcal arthritis.
Some estimates state that over 46 million people in the US live with rheumatic diseases, which are the most common causes of reduced mobility.
How Walk AS One and Walk Your AS Off are celebrating World Arthritis Day
Our tiny team of volunteers here at Walk AS One is working hard to establish a system that allows us to bring on more volunteers so we can provide our readers with more content and information to help you raise awareness for Ankylosing Spondylitis.
We have two ways to celebrate World Arthritis Day!
Not-So-Silent Walk AS One Online Auction for World Arthritis Day
We’re holding a not-so-silent auction to benefit Walk AS One. All money raised will go to web development and our spring 2017 Walk Your AS Off event.Please consider donating an item to our first annual – Not So Silent Auction – we will not be silenced in our mission!
Contact Jennifer Visscher with questions at jennifer.visscher@walkASon
How it works
Donated items will be posted on our event page on Facebook and “bids” will happen openly in the comments section.
How you can contribute
If you have an item you’d like to donate to help us raise funds, please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send one email per item.
- Your name, email address, and the country you will be shipping from.
- The item and a brief description along with a jpeg with a minimum resolution of 300dpi.
- Estimated cost to ship item within the USA if over $5.
- Will you ship your item to our P.O. Box or directly to the individual. Shipping directly to the individual is preferable.
- A link to your business – we’d like to promote you as a thanks for contributing!
- The retail value of the item AND a minimum bid you would be okay with us taking. We will NOT take under this amount. If the minimum is not met, we will “return” your item. We understand the passion and work that goes into many of our supporters artwork, crafts and work and will not disrespect that value.
What happens after the auction?
Once we have closed bids at midnight EST on October 12, 2016; the individual with the winning bid will be notified via email and sent a Paypal invoice. Once Walk AS One has received the money, you will be contacted and we will discuss shipping. We will place minimum $5 shipping fee on each item unless you know that it is more (please indicate as such.)
Please make note that Walk AS One is in the process of obtaining our 501c3 non-profit status and expect to be awarded such by the end of 2016 but if we do not, your donation will not be tax deductible until 2017. As soon as we have our 501c3 determination, we will send your tax deductible letter.
If purchasing or donating an item from a different country from where you live – please contact the Walk AS One team for special shipping considerations.
Create your own Team AS Awareness Event for October 12, 2016
What to do
- Teams create a special awareness event on their team Facebook page.
- Track your step count on Wednesday, October 12, 2016.
- Take a photo of yourself where you are walking or take a photo that represents our fight to raise awareness for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Remember to GO BLUE!
- Submit your steps and a photo to your Team Captain by email or FaceBook. (Your Team Captain will decide how they want team members to submit steps.)
- Team Captains are responsible for sending team step results in for each participant, the number of steps taken on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 and whatever photos your team has managed to send to you to Carrie Kellenbergerat email@example.com.
- Please submit your team results and photos in one email. The only exception to this rule is if you are submitting a lot of photos!
- The deadline for sending in your team step count totals is Sunday, October 16, 2016.
Contact Carrie Kellenberger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more questions.
What happens next?
We’ll create a special page for World Arthritis Day 2016 that shows how our community stood up to raise awareness for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Your photos will be compiled into a special 2016 Walk Your AS Banner at World Arthritis Day banner for the page.